WHAT IS CORVID 19?
It is a strain of coronavirus that was identified as the cause of an outbreak or respiratory illness, identified in Wuyan China.
HOW DOES IT SPREAD?
It spread mainly through person to person (contact)
- Between people that are close to one another through touching and shaking hands
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person is coughing
- Through an object or surface with a virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, eyes before washing your hands
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS?
- Fever or high temperature of about 38 degrees Celsius
- Shortness of breath and
- Sore throat
WHO IS AT RISK?
- Older adults
- People with diabetes
- People with lung disease
- People with heart diseases
HOW CAN YOU PROTECT YOURSELF AND OTHERS?
CLEAN YOUR HAND OFTEN
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially if you have been to a public place, or blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- NB: Wash your hands, before 4 touching the patient, after touching the patient, after touching the patient surroundings, after bodily fluid exposure.
- If water is not readily available, use sanitizer that contains 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid consumption of raw or uncooked animal products.
- Avoid travel if you have fever and cough.
HOW CAN YOU PROTECT YOURSELF AT THE WORKPLACE?
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
Safety in the workplace is critical for you as the health worker. Employer must supply you with protective clothing this includes masks, googles, gowns, hand sanitizer, soap and water and cleaning supply.
- Wear gloves to reduce rate of infection or will be in contact with body fluids
- Wash your hands before wearing and removing them
- Change gloves and wash hands after each and every task
- Ensure that you wearing the correct gloves that fits before commencing on the task.
- Follow your organization protocol on using of gloves.
- Wear the mask all the time especially around sick people.
- Make sure that it fit your face.
- Make sure you wearing the correct mask
- Change the musk and dispose of it correctly.
- Avoid touching your face by all cost.
TRAINING AND UPDATE
The right to be trained on a condition that you do not have knowledge, competency and skill is your right. Therefore demand training before you undertake such a task.
REFUSAL OF WORK
If you not provided with a safe working environment and protective equipment and lack of knowledge, skill and competency, you will be within the rights to refuse to do work.
PAID TIME OFF FOR QUARANTINED
Should you be found to be COVID 19 positive or on sick leave or quarantined as a suspicious case, you should not lose your pay due to such circumstances.
ADEQUATE STAFFING DEMANDS
It is essential for nurses to demand adequate staffing in the facilities. Shortage in the situation can lead to exhaustion and burnout. More staff will enable you to take turns more often and get relief.
FOR HELP OR INFORMATION OR REPORT YOU MAY CALL AND EMAIL:
EC: 082 755 7734 firstname.lastname@example.org
FS: 072 561 8066 email@example.com
GP: 072620 8806 firstname.lastname@example.org
LM: 0725870684 email@example.com
KZN 072 553 1636 firstname.lastname@example.org
NC: 0725699838 email@example.com
NW: 0725590768 firstname.lastname@example.org
MP: 072 564 01 0136 email@example.com
WC: 072 555 9565 firstname.lastname@example.org
National Office: 066 476 9315 email@example.com